Thursday, March 21, 2013

Strength Training for Runners

Warrior Dash, October 2011


Quick post today on an excellent strength training plan for runners.

I most recently used this last year during the Spring/Summer training season to build the strength necessary for more powerful running.

My personal philosophy on strength training is to always remember that I am a runner and that I am completing this activity to enhance my fitness and not to lift heavily, most especially with legs! I learned this lesson from injuring myself from lifting too much at one point and I've vowed never to make that mistake again. If you want to bulk up, this is probably not the plan for you. If you want a good, overall body circuit, I highly recommend this.

Additionally, I play close attention to my training intensity with weights. More specifically, the effort level of my lifting (from a scale of 1 -10) is a 7-8. In contrast, my runs range from an effort level of 7 to difficult 8.5 - 9. (Warms ups and cool downs are at about a 5-6) I save the all out effort for race day.

Here is a pdf file of the plan I'm referring to from Warrior Dash's website. I personally like the variety of exercises and the gradual build up from Week 1 to Week 12. That, and many running plans also span a 12 week period.

Happy running (& strength training!)

http://www.warriordash.com/documents/training/WD_StrengthTraining_Ultimate.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment